Sunday, January 15, 2006

Off to a Good Start, Deep Blue, Gratitude

Hello,

I can't believe January is already half over. This past week has been very hectic between scheduling students, practicing, and getting ready for a new term. I am taking 3 classes at Eastern Michigan University: Conducting, Bassoon and Clarinet. When I am done with them, and a couple of other requirements, I will (finally) be a fully certified music teacher in the state of Michigan. Not to mention one of the few with a world Music performance degree. I look forward to the possibilities of working in the public and private schools in the near future.

In the meantime I will be busy with shows, workshops, classes, students, and whatever else may happen over the next 4 months. So far this year I have played a couple of times. Last Friday I was with Deep Blue again at Cafe Felix. It was good to be back. It looks like I will be playing that gig with them for a while.

On Thursday last week I played a sweet gig with Gratitude Steel Band at the Canton Village Theater. I asked one of my students, Nick Joseph to come and play congas with us. He also sat in on the drumset for a tune that I play tabla on. He did a great job, and I think he impressed the band enough to get a call back. I also asked one of my younger students, Hartley Combs to come and check out the show. He was a big help in setting up and tearing down, and he even took some pictures. I know I will be seeing him on the stage soon enough.

I will keep you posted on more gigs. The next is this Friday again with Deep Blue at Cafe Felix. Thanks for reading, and I will talk to you soon.

John

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, John

I hope You remember me. Just went through your blog and was surprized even glad to see you. My performance with you at ICMD is memorable for me too. Thanks for posting my name too in your blog.If I ever get a chance to perform with you again, I will be very happy...
Best wishes to you..
meghna