Thursday, February 08, 2007

My 100th Post!! Rockin' the Library

Hello Friends,

I am happy to tell you that this blog entry marks my 100th post! I can't believe that this has been going on for over 2 years already. Thank you for reading. It is thriling to share my musical life with you and I hope to keep it going for a long long time. I am constantly amazed at how the internet changes the way we live our lives, and share information. This blog has become a very important tool for me. It allows me to reflect on every musical experience I have in a very personal, yet very public forum. It has given me a perspective on my career choices that I don't think I would get by any other means. It helps keep my family and friends up to date with what I am doing. It gets me excited to write, and strengthens my ability to communicate. My favorite part about it is that is is a record of every gig I have played for the past two years. I have not yet gone back and read my blog. I feel like the longer I wait, the more special it will be. I want to thank you again for reading, and I would love to hear from you if you have the time......
So out of this new age of instant online information and endless electronic resource comes an unlikely candidate for live music....the public library! This is a heads up to any musicians out there looking for a sweet gig, drop a promo pack at your local public library. There are a ton of them out there right now booking all kinds of musical acts for concert series and community gatherings. It is not just a feeble attempt to get people back into books, that battle has been lost to the web. Rather it is a realization that people crave real experience over sound bytes any day.
I suspected this new phenomenon last year after playing a show with Gratitude to a packed house of people ready to dance and have a good time. It was at the Mount Clemens Public Library. On Saturday I played the show again and reaffirmed my suspicion. The crowd was into it. It wasn't as big of a crowd as last year, (probably due to an extreme cold spell that closed area schools for a couple days), but they were just as into it. People were dancing, clapping and having a great time. The next day I was looing in the Ann Arbor Observer, (the local events mag), and noticed that Ann Arbor Public Library has a concert series of it's own. I don't know how big this news is, but it is worth looking into if you are a musician, or lover of live music. It also feels good in an old fashioned kind of way to bring such good energy into what seemed to be a doomed institution. Take that Google.

No comments: